On Distant Shores
Lex Cretum Certo
The actual text of the Lex Cretum Certo is extremely dense and calculated speech detailing the new law with very specific and careful wording. Its practical effects are thus:
- It grants The Lady authority to conscript every person for a period of four years no earlier than at the age of 16 for Civil Service. At the end of this civil service that person is to be granted the right of selecting citizenship in a single city.
- It grants The Lady the authority to levy a war tax (currently the only tax allowed) on the citizenry so long as it is not in the form of a direct salary or property tax. Currently this takes the form a consumption tax.
- It grants the Governor of an Allied City the authority to conscript citizens into an emergency militia and expands the scope of the Red Cloaks and City Rangers to include semi-active reserve forces.
- It grants the Governor the authority to approve defensive structures with only the approval of the Guilds of Masonry & Architecture.
- It changes the method for punishment of crimes within the allied cities. Now, those who have broken laws (such as failing to pay legally owed debts or murder) are assigned to a labor legion (similar to the 13th Legion) for a period of time equivalent to and according to the seriousness of their crimes. If the person assigned to the labor legion is not assigned there for life they are payed a minor stipend over a few years after their assignment as compensation for lost time.